Chakras correspond to specific organs and nerve bundles in the body, making them play a significant role in the flow of energy in the body. This is why chakras are considered as the “energy centers” of our body.
If one or more of the chakras becomes unbalanced or blocked, this can affect your mental, spiritual, emotional, and physical health. You will go through situations like low energy, feeling disconnected, low self-esteem, or uncontrolled emotions. A blocked chakra will not only disrupt the harmony of your body’s energy fields but will also eventually lead to illness and disease.
The good news is that there are things that you can do on your own to reverse these energy imbalances in your chakra system. All you have to do is choose the best technique to help you unblock your chakras.
How to unblock chakras
There are several techniques that you can do to unblock chakras. Here are some of the most common methods that you can use to unblock your chakras:
Yoga practice helps release blocked energy through the movement of your body parts. A lot of yoga poses are made to encourage circulation, vitality, and energy flow – all of which are beneficial when it comes to unblocking chakras. Here is a list of examples of the appropriate yoga poses for each chakra:
- Crown chakra – Balancing butterfly pose, headstand, corpse pose
- Third eye chakra – Dolphin pose, cat pose, easy pose
- Throat chakra – Supported headstand, supported shoulder stand, circling the neck
- Heart chakra – Camel pose, upward facing dog pose, cobra pose
- Solar plexus chakra – Mountain pose, boat pose, sun salutation
- Sacral chakra – Goddess pose, revolved triangle pose, pigeon pose
- Root chakra – Warrior pose, tree pose, eagle pose
If you are new to yoga, it helps to work first with a yoga instructor before trying out these poses.
If you go to yoga class, you may be already familiar with mantras and how they work. Mantras are also used in some religious practices for their prayer ceremonies. The mantra sound is actually a form of sound healing. If you notice, the sound you make will vibrate in your throat, chest, and lower abdomen.
The Bija mantras are known for chakra balancing and clearing. Each mantra is a single syllable that refers to a specific mantra:
- Crown chakra – silence
- Third eye chakra – om
- Throat chakra – ham
- Heart chakra – yam
- Solar plexus chakra – ram
- Sacral chakra – vam
- Root chakra – lam
All you have to do is to pick out a warm, quiet place to practice the mantra.
Positive affirmations are statements or reminders that are meant to motivate and encourage. Repeating chakra affirmations helps direct healing energy to a specific chakra and restores balance. Here is a list of common chakra affirmations that you can use to unblock chakras:
- Crown chakra – “I am one with the divine energy and I am complete.”
- Third eye chakra – “I understand the meaning of life’s situations. I am wise.”
- Throat chakra – “My thoughts are positive and I will express them clearly and truthfully.”
- Heart chakra – “I give and receive love unconditionally.”
- Solar plexus chakra – “I accept that I have strengths and weaknesses and I accept myself completely.
- Sacral chakra – “I am beautiful and strong and enjoy a passionate and healthy life.”
- Root chakra – “I am enough as I am.”
All you have to do is match these affirmations with the element of repetition. You should repeat these affirmations about 10 times the moment you wake up and before you go to bed.
Meditation is a powerful way to connect your body and spirit and it does great for your energy flow. It is great for the nervous system too. It does not only release negative energy but also released trapped and unwanted energy blockages. The practice of energy meditation can help balance out your chakras and unblock them.
You can find a lot of guided chakra meditation sessions online to help you maintain your energy center. If you know which chakra is blocked, it is best to look for a guided meditation that will activate that specific chakra.
The tapping technique works on the premise of using your fingertips and tapping them on a specific point repeatedly. The act of repetition can be relaxing. While tapping, you speak out affirmations and the acceptance of emotions that may be tied to memories that surface. This technique is also known as the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT).
To unblock your chakras using this technique, tap on your chakra points using the pads of your middle finger and index finger (make sure to use your dominant hand). Start from the top to the bottom – meaning you start with the crown chakra first and end with the root chakra. Tap on each chakra gently but firmly nine times.
Colors can stimulate different vibrations in the body. In fact, the effects of each color has been proven by science. Each chakra is associated with a certain color. You can expose yourself to a specific color more often through clothes, food, accessories, etc. if you want to work on a specific chakra. Here is the list of colors associated with each chakra:
- Crown chakra – purple
- Third eye chakra – indigo
- Throat chakra – blue
- Heart chakra – green
- Solar plexus chakra – yellow
- Sacral chakra – orange
- Root chakra – red
Another common way to unblock chakras in your home is to listen to music specifically made for the health of your chakra. A common example is the music of Tibetan singing bowls usually played with running water in the background. The Tibetan singing bowls create different vibrations that align with a specific chakra’s vibration.
You can also unblock your chakras by using aromatherapy. These sacred scents can give balance and healing to your body, soul, and mind. It is believed that specific scents can affect a specific chakra. Here is a list of common essential oils associated with each chakra:
- Crown chakra – White lotus flower, Chinese rice flower
- Third eye chakra – Lemon, sandalwood
- Throat chakra – Frankincense, blue chamomile
- Heart chakra – Rose oil, pine
- Solar plexus chakra – Myrrh, Atlas cedarwood
- Sacral chakra – Lavender, sweet orange
- Root chakra – Red spikenard, vetiver
Crystals can also be used to unblock chakras and they are also used for chakra healing by promoting balance in the body. Each crystal has a vibrational frequency just like each chakra does. The key is to choose crystals that emit the same frequencies as the chakra. Here is a quick list of common crystals used for every chakra.
- Crown chakra – Amethyst, clear quartz
- Third eye chakra – Blue quartz, azurite
- Throat chakra – Blue tiger’s eye, blue goldstone,
- Heart chakra – Rose quartz, amazonite
- Solar plexus chakra – Yellow quartz, tiger’s eye
- Sacral chakra – Smoky quartz, goldstone
- Root chakra – Garnet, red tiger’s eye
You can simply line up the corresponding crystals to your spine or wear these crystals to help unblock your chakra and do some chakra cleansing.
Each chakra is associated with an element. Exposing yourself to these elements is also considered to help unblock your chakras. Here is a list of the elements for each chakra and what you can do to be exposed to them.
- Crown chakra – Thought is the element for the crown chakra. Spending time in prayer, meditation, and chanting will be beneficial.
- Third eye chakra – Light is the element for the third eye chakra. You should do some sunbathing or relax by the window during the daytime.
- Throat chakra – Ether (space) is the element for the throat chakra. It would help to sit in an open space like under a clear sky or a starry one.
- Heart chakra – Air is the element for the heart chakra. Do some deep breathing exercises, drive with the windows open, or fly a kite.
- Solar plexus chakra – Fire is the element for the solar plexus chakra. Sit around the bonfire or light up your chimney and start relaxing.
- Sacral chakra – Water is the element for sacral chakra and to unblock it, you can go for a swim or prepare yourself for more relaxing baths.
- Root chakra – Earth is the element for the root chakra and to unblock it, you can take more nature walks or do some barefoot walking in the grass or dirt.
What are chakras?
Chakras have been around from 1500 to 1000 BC wherein they were first mentioned in the ancient sacred texts of spiritual knowledge, known as the Vedas. In Sanskrit, “chakra” means “wheel.” The chakras are considered as energy points in the body that are envisioned as spinning disks of energy.
It is believed that the chakras should always be aligned and opened since they affect the body’s emotional and physical well-being. Think of them as energy centers that provides power to your body. That power boosts your ability to do things and your capacity to feel and process emotions and situations. It provides balance that helps you understand life.
Some would say that there are over 114 chakras or energy centers in the body but a majority agree on the 7 main chakras: crown, third eye, throat, heart, solar plexus, sacral chakra, and root chakra. These seven chakra points run down along the spine of the human body. This energy channel in the spine is often referred to as the “sushumna” and runs from the top of the crown to the tip of the tailbone.
It is believed that these chakra points receive, process, and transmit energy through what you think, feel, and experience. This is why it is very important that the energy pathways stay open.
What causes chakras to be blocked?
When a chakra is blocked, it usually means that energy is hindered or stuck. When this happens, the chakras are unable to work at their optimal levels and cause imbalances in your body – physically, emotionally, and spiritually. In order to release the energy, your chakras must be opened or unblocked.
But what causes these blocks? As it turns out there are different situations that may cause this:
Excess waste in the body, fatty deposits, or the presence of a cyst or tumor can block chakras. This can also be caused by overfatigue, poor diet, lack of exercise, lack of sleep, or poor lifestyle choices like alcohol and drug abuse.
Depression, anxiety, and other mental health challenges can block your chakra. Emotional toxins such as these can happen when you do not digest and process your emotions and experiences properly.
Being spiritually rigid or refusing to honor your spiritual side can also block your higher chakras. Your conscious awareness of your spirituality is important to your soul and your spiritual well-being.
How do you know if your chakras are blocked?
Here is a list of some of the most common signs and symptoms that a chakra is blocked.
- Distressed emotions
- Inability to perform tasks at your full potential
Third eye chakra
- Inability to trust your intuition
- Difficulty learning new skills
- Memory problems
- Inability to stay focused
- Difficulty communicating your truth because of an intense fear of judgment
- Tension headaches
- Sore throat
- Fear of betrayal
- Cardiac health issues
Solar plexus chakra
- Low self-esteem
- Difficulty making decisions
- Inability to control intense emotions
- Stomach and digestive issues
- Lack of creativity
- Unstable emotions
- Sexual dysfunction
- Anxiety disorders
- Intense fear
- Bladder issues
- Leg problems
- Lower back issues
When your chakra points are blocked, you are most likely to notice the physical symptoms first. If you notice, the physical symptoms are emerging from the location of the blocked chakra.
Now that you know how to unblock chakras and what causes them, there will be no doubt that your energy pathways will remain balanced and harmonized. Now you can fully benefit from having a clear and open free-flowing energy force and this will contribute to your growth as a person.
If you have gone through the list and tried these techniques on how to unblock chakras but find something lacking, do not hesitate to approach a professional energy healer. They can do other techniques for you. You can easily find one by doing a simple online search these days.
Remember, if one chakra is blocked, this will affect the rest of your chakra points. This is because your chakra points are tied together and must work together to make the energy flow smoothly. So, if you feel that you have multiple blocked chakras, this is just normal. While each chakra point has its own properties and function, they collectively work together as one energy system.